Source: Bentley - Press release after the jump.
NEW CONTINENTAL GTC V8 MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT
- New Continental GTC V8 convertible makes its official public debut at 2012 New York International Auto Show
- Exceptional power-to-emissions ratio combined with classic Bentley power and torque from new 4.0 litre twin-turbo V8 engine
- Fulfils Bentley’s environmental commitment for a new powertrain delivering a 40 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions
- Advanced technologies include direct injection, variable displacement, new close-ratio 8-speed transmission and all‑wheel‑drive
- New Continental GTC V8 complements the flagship Continental GTC W12 6.0 litre convertible
The new 4.0 litre, twin turbocharged Continental GTC V8, and its coupe counterpart the Continental GT V8, achieve exceptional standards for power-to-emissions in the high luxury sports car sector.
This remarkable, new Bentley V8 engine delivers maximum power of 500 bhp (507 PS / 373 Kw) at 6000 rev/min and an extraordinary peak torque of 660 Nm (487 lb ft) which is available across virtually the entire rev range from 1700 to 5000 rev/min, providing exhilarating performance and effortless power delivery in the Bentley tradition. Combined with a new close-ratio 8-speed automatic transmission, this translates into a 0-60 mph sprint time of 4.7 seconds for the GTC (0-100 km/h in 5.0 seconds) and a top speed of 187 mph (301 km/h).
At the same time, the new V8 Continental models achieve outstanding levels of fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions for the luxury performance sector and are capable of travelling over 500 miles (800 km) on a single tank of fuel.
The arrival of the new V8 Continental models fulfils Bentley’s environmental commitment to produce a new powertrain that delivers a 40 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions.
The new V8 engine features variable displacement with a highly sophisticated engine management system, ensuring a seamless and imperceptible transition from V8 to V4 mode under light throttle load.
The high-technology V8 also features high pressure direct injection, low friction bearings, thermal management, energy recuperation via the charging system, and innovative turbo charger packaging for greater efficiency.
The instantly recognisable growl of the new 4.0 litre V8 engine sets it apart from its Bentley stablemates.
Expressing their potent, muscular character, both new Continental V8 models are distinguished by a black gloss matrix grille with chrome frame and centre bar, a red enamel Bentley ‘B’ badge, and a black matrix three-segment lower front bumper divided by distinctive body-coloured strakes.
At the rear, unique chromed ‘figure eight’ exhaust tailpipes, a dark lower valance and red enamel ‘B’ bootlid badge emphasise the sporty, contemporary identity of the new V8s. The new Continental V8 models can be specified with 20-inch alloy wheels as standard or an optional 21‑inch six-spoke design which is available in dramatic Diamond Black (exclusive to the Continental V8) or Diamond Silver finishes.
Inside the cabin, an Eliade cloth headlining, new contemporary Dark Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneers, optional two-tone leather colour split and short centre console continue the fresh, sporting design theme.
The new Continental GTC V8 model will be offered beneath the flagship 6.0 litre, 12‑cylinder engined GTC, which continues to excite customers with a combination of silken refinement and the ultimate power of the twin-turbocharged W12 Continental engine that, in its most potent form, delivers an astonishing 631 bhp (640 PS).
Both Continental V8 models feature a state-of-the-art, all-wheel drive system employing an advanced Torsen differential and a 40:60 rear biased power split. This ensures safe yet dynamic sports car handling in all road conditions.
Since the launch of the original GT in 2003, the W12-engined Continental range has gone from strength to strength with over 50,000 sales worldwide, making Bentley’s factory in Crewe, England, the largest producer of 12 cylinder engines in the world. The W12 story continues to unfold and remains the ultimate expression of Bentley’s engineering strength.
Commenting on the launch of the new V8 Continental models, Wolfgang Dürheimer, Chairman and Chief Executive, Bentley Motors, said:
“With the new 4.0 litre V8 engine we are widening the appeal of the latest generation of Continentals, introducing a completely new driving experience. The new engine has all the exhilarating power, drama and performance you would expect from a V8 engine sporting the famous Bentley wings, effortlessly delivered with our characteristic ‘wave of torque’. This is complemented by innovative powertrain technology that delivers exceptional fuel efficiency and emissions.”
THE NEW CONTINENTAL V8 MODELSDistinctive sporting style
- Gloss black matrix grille with bright chrome surround and divider
- Three-segment lower bumper with black air intakes and striking body-coloured dividers
- Dark rear lower valance
- Distinctive twin ‘figure eight’ exhaust tailpipes
- Red enamel Bentley winged ‘B’ badges above the front grille, to the bootlid and wheel centres
- 7 exterior colours offered in standard range
- New Dark Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneer unique to the V8 models
- Eliade cloth headlining and pillar trim
- Short centre console in place of W12 through-console
- 4 hide colours offered in standard range
- Unique two-tone leather colour split
- 3 hood colours (Continental GTC)
- Exceptional power-to-emissions ratio reflecting engine efficiency
- Variable displacement (a technology first proven on the Mulsanne) imperceptibly cuts 4 cylinders on cruise and light throttle
- Engine optimisation technologies boost efficiency
- Turbochargers mounted within ‘V’ for efficiency and fast response
- Switchable engine mounts ensure refinement
- New, close-ratio, 8-speed transmission with ultra-fast shifts
- Over 500 miles (800 km) range on one tank of fuel
- All-wheel drive system with 40:60 rear biased torque split
New Continental GT and GTC V8
|GT V8||GTC V8|
|Engine||4.0 litre twin turbocharged V8||4.0 litre twin turbocharged V8|
|Power||500 bhp / 373 kW / 507 PS @ 6000 rpm||500 bhp / 373 kW / 507 PS @ 6000 rpm|
|Torque||660 Nm / 487 lb/ft @ 1700 rpm||660 Nm / 487 lb/ft @ 1700 rpm|
|Driveline||All-wheel drive (40:60 rear bias)||All-wheel drive (40:60 rear bias)|
|Transmission||8-speed automatic with paddleshift||8-speed automatic with paddleshift|
|Acceleration 0-60 mph||4.6 secs||4.7 sec|
|0–100 km/h||4.8 secs||5.0 sec|
|Max. Speed||188 mph (303 km/h)||187 mph (301 km/h)|
|FUEL CONSUMPTION EU DRIVE CYCLE|
|Urban||18.4 mpg / 15.4 l/100km||17.9 mpg / 15.8 l/100km|
|Extra-Urban||36.7 mpg / 7.7 l/100km||35.3 / 8.0 l/100km|
|Combined||26.7 mpg / 10.5 1/100km/||25.9 mpg / 10.9 l/100km|
|CO2 emissions (combined)||246 g/km||254 g/km|
|EPA DRIVE CYCLE|
|City Driving||Awaiting Certification||Awaiting Certification|
|Highway Driving||Awaiting Certification||Awaiting Certification|
|Combined||Awaiting Certification||Awaiting Certification|
|WEIGHTS AND VOLUMES|
|Kerb Weight||2295 kg||2470 kg|
|Unladen Weight||2295 kg / 5060 lb||2470 kg / 5445 lb|
|Gross Weight||2750 kg / 6063 lb||2900 kg / 6393 lb|
|Fuel Tank||90 litres / 20 gallons / 24 USg||90 litres / 20 gallons / 24 USg|
|Boot Volume||358 litres / 12.6 cu.ft||260 litres / 9.1 cu.ft|
|Overall Length||4806 mm / 15 ft 9 in||4806 mm / 15 ft 9 in|
|Width across mirrors||2227 mm / 7ft 3 in||2227 mm / 7ft 3 in|
|Wheelbase||2746 mm / 9ft 0 in||2746 mm / 9ft 0 in|
|Overall Height||1404 mm / 4ft 7 in||1403 mm / 4ft 7 in|
|Wheel size||20" or optional 21"||20" or optional 21"|
2. Bentley’s global sales for Q1 in 2012 increased by 46.6% with 1,759 cars delivered to customers. This growth was led by the emergence of China as Bentley’s largest market in the first quarter with sales in the region up 84.7% (578 cars delivered). The Americas remain a key market for Bentley with sales up by 35.6% (468 cars delivered). In the Middle East sales recovered with an increase of 82.6% (168 cars delivered) and European sales also saw a 34.4% increase with 207 deliveries. Sales in the UK and Germany remain stable, with 233 cars and 62 cars delivered respectively.