new Avalon on the horizon..
Anyway, think Avalon and you'll get the Azera. With the Azera you get a 3.3-liter V6 (293 hp), six-speed automatic, 23 mpg (combined), nine-standard airbags, leather interior with heated front seats, Blue Link infotainment with Bluetooth, standard navigation with rear-view camera, automatic climate control, and more, yup, standard. Optional is the $4,000 Technology Package that gets you a lot of good stuff like panoramic sunroof, 19-inch wheels, HID Xenon headlamps, Infinity premium speakers with subwoofer and external amplifier, sunshades, ambient lighting and much more. So the 2012 Hyundai Azera is a good-looking, well-equipped, full-size sedan that will set you back $32,000 (plus taxes, license, fees, dealer-installed options, and $875 delivery/freight) or $36,000 for the Azera with the Tech Pack. The 2012 Hyundai Azera is on sale now. For more info, check out the extensive press releases after the jump or visit your local dealer.
Source: Hyundai - Press releases (2) and pics after the jump.
HYUNDAI MODERNIZES THE LARGE SEDAN WITH THE ALL-NEW AZERA
Fluidic Sculpture Design, Smart Technology, Performance and Safety
HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2012 AZERA
- All-new second generation Azera with Fluidic Sculpture design
- Powered by a new Lambda II 3.3-liter Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine and in-house six-speed automatic transmission
- Horsepower: 293 at 6400 RPM
- Best-in-class combined 23 mpg
- Better combined fuel efficiency than Nissan Maxima, Ford Taurus, Lexus ES350 and Buick LaCrosse V6
- Best-in-class specific output
- Nine standard airbags – includes knee airbag
- Impact-reducing front seat system
- Standard VSM, ESC, TCS, ABS with Brake Assist and EBD
- Best-in-class head and leg room for front-seat passengers
- Standard 18-inch alloy wheels and optional 19-inch alloy wheels
- HID Xenon headlights with LED accents
- Segment-exclusive standard navigation system with rearview camera
- Standard leather interior with heated front and rear seats
- Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with voice recognition
- Standard Blue Link telematics platform
- Segment-first manual side window sunshades
- Ventilated front seats
2012 AZERA MEETS THE MECHANICS OF FLIGHTAzera’s Fluidic Sculpture design takes inspiration from the mechanics of flight. The exterior of the all-new Azera is long, light and low. The unique, undulating beltline allows for a long, sleek roofline accented by the third window and wraparound LED taillights. A monoform side profile includes flowing lines. The face is masculine with a large powerful chrome grille and HID headlamps that integrate precise details. The stance is completed by available 19-inch multi-spoke wheels.
The elegant look continues inside where Hyundai has created an upscale ambiance, thanks to a flow-through center fascia and instrument panel. These flowing surfaces complement the exterior design and wrap around the driver and passengers.
ACCOMMODATING INTERIOR WITH STANDARD LEATHER The 2012 Azera offers luxurious appointments that rival the finest premium competitor brands. It offers a roomy cabin with more than 45 inches of legroom and 40 inches of headroom for front-seat passengers.
Special attention has been paid to other interior details, such as an optional panoramic sunroof, which allows more natural light into the cabin and 3D Carbon interior accents. Ambient lighting compliments the vehicle’s modern appearance. Other unexpected luxury appointments include an electrochromic auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink® and power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades. The side shades can be inconspicuously tucked away when not in use and no other car in the segment offers them.
Seats are extremely important in this segment. The 2012 Azera offers first class seating assignments for all passengers. Leather seating surfaces are standard. A ten-way power driver and eight-way front passenger’s seats are standard equipment. The driver’s seat has an optional cushion extension and an integrated memory system for the seat, steering wheel and side mirrors. Azera’s climate and seat temperature controls keep occupants in total comfort.
- Ventilated front seats (optional) – fans in the front seat back and bottom cushions circulate air through the perforated leather seats
- Heated front and rear seats standard
- Dual automatic climate control standard
- Second row air vents standard
- Cooled glove box standard
There’s an old saying “there is no replacement for displacement.” Well, gasoline direct injection technology has changed the game. The Lambda II 3.3-liter GDI engine is the heart of the 2012 Azera. It produces a best-in-class specific output of 88.8 horsepower per liter, while having the smallest displacement V6 in the segment. This engine has a high-pressure direct injection system (over 2,200 psi), which dramatically increases power and torque, while reducing fuel consumption and emissions. This system eliminates the need for a large displacement V6 engine and increases the compression ratio from 10.4 to 11.5 for greater thermal efficiency and output. It also features all-aluminum construction, four valves per cylinder, piston cooling jets, roller timing chain, CrN Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coating on the top ring chamfer and Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT) for a broad power spread. A three-stage Variable Intake System (VIS) further broadens its power curve to improve the vehicle’s off-the-line acceleration and passing performance. EPA fuel economy estimates for the Azera are 20 mpg city / 29 mpg highway / 23 mpg combined.
The engine is mated to Hyundai’s six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC® manual control. This transmission offers smooth shifts and a wide ratio spread that ideally suits the engine’s characteristics.
Azera’s powertrain also has an Active Eco mode, which modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy that translates into more than a five percent improvement in real-world fuel economy.
OVERALL DIMENSIONSThe Azera rides on a 112-inch wheelbase, with an overall length of 193.3 inches and width of 73.2 inches. These exterior dimensions optimally size Azera between the Sonata and Genesis models.
BEST-IN-CLASS FRONT HEAD AND LEG ROOMAzera has best-in-class front head and leg room.
WORLD-CLASS WEIGHT EFFICIENCY World-class weight efficiency is a program target for all Hyundai models. This strategy delivers outstanding fuel economy and performance simultaneously. At just 3,605 pounds, Azera is more than 200 pounds lighter than the Buick LaCrosse (3,835 pounds) and more than 400 pounds lighter than the Ford Taurus (4,015 pounds). This priority on weight efficiency allows the Azera to deliver a great combination of agility, performance and fuel efficiency.
BALANCED STEERING AND SUSPENSION SOLUTIONSThe Azera is fitted with a MacPherson strut front suspension, coil springs and a 24 mm diameter front stabilizer bar. The sophisticated multi-link independent rear suspension enables precise geometry for a premium ride and engaging handling prowess. The capabilities of the advanced front and rear-suspension are maximized through Sachs Amplitude Selective Dampers (ASD), allowing tuning flexibility at smaller damper displacements. The ASD suspension provides:
- Improved ride comfort with more body/wheel control
- Increased driving comfort without compromised handling
- Optimized road surface contact
ADVANCED STANDARD SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES: PART OF HYUNDAi’S ASSURANCE COMMITMENT AND IT STARTS WITH THE SEATSAzera has an exceptional level of standard safety features for the large car segment right down to the part people spend the most time in – the seats. Hyundai engineers have developed an impact-reducing seat system for the Azera. This seat system eliminates the need for active front head restraints and is expected to reduce head and neck injuries by 17 percent over the front seats in the previous generation Azera, which had active front head restraints. This result is achieved through optimization of seat back structure to further absorb impacts.
Azera has a Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system, which optimally manages ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and the Motor-Driven electric Power Steering (MDPS).
VSM works to control two effects. The first is when a driver accelerates or brakes on a split-mu surface (slippery on one side, dry pavement on the other) and the vehicle wants to pull in one direction. VSM detects this condition and sends a signal to the MDPS to apply steering assist. VSM counters the pull and automatically provides eightNewtonmeters of counter- steering. VSM reacts the same way during sudden lane changes or fast cornering.
Azera features nine airbags including dual front, front and rear seat-mounted side-impact, front and rear side curtain airbags and a driver’s knee airbag.
The Azera also features a state-of-the-art braking package. The package includes four-wheel disc brakes (12.6 inch front and 11.2 inch rear) and an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) including Brake Assist, which provides maximum braking force when a panic stop is detected, and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), to automatically adjust the braking force to front and rear axles based on vehicle loading conditions.
Additionally, Azera offers impressive passive safety features including a Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) system for children’s seats and three-point seatbelts for all positions.
ADVANCED CONNECTIVITY AND STANDARD NAVIGATION
- Standard navigation system with seven-inch screen
- Azera comes standard with three months of XM Satellite Radio
- Real-time XM NavTraffic, XM NAV Weather®, XM Sports Ticker and XM Stock Ticker
- Azera offers the clarity of digital HD Radio Technology from the factory
- Bluetooth hands-free phone system standard
- Standard auxiliary iPod/USB inputs
Azera is available with two audio systems. Standard is a Dimension AM/FM/Satellite Radio/CD/MP3 audio system with seven-speakers and iPod®/USB/auxiliary input jacks. An Infinity 550-watt, Logic 7 audio system with 12 speakers, including an eight-inch subwoofer and external amplifier is available. An XM Satellite Radio interface is also integrated into the head unit and features channel logos and XM Data services, such as XM NavWeather®, XM Stock Ticker and XM Sports Ticker. Azera also offers standard HD Radio™ technology.
A Bluetooth hands-free phone system with voice recognition, address book download and audio streaming is standard.
HYUNDAI BLUE LINKHyundai Blue Link telematics is standard on the Azera with a 90-day complimentary trial period. Blue Link can be accessed from the buttons on the rearview mirror inside the Azera, the web and via a smart phone. Blue Link is offered in three packages: Assurance, Essentials and Guidance.
“Blue Link combines safety, service and infotainment into a complete package that works to both help simplify Hyundai owners’ lives and reduce distracted driving,” said Barry Ratzlaff, director of customer satisfaction and service business development, Hyundai Motor America. “We’ve carefully studied how drivers rely on smart phones and navigation systems as an innovative link to the outside world. Blue Link brings that seamless connectivity directly into the car with technology like voice text messaging, POI web search download, turn-by-turn navigation, and monthly vehicle reporting. Our agent-assisted advanced voice recognition system offers a 21st century solution to performing POI searches in the vehicle. This unique and innovative approach enables Hyundai to deliver fast, accurate searches and downloads of POIs to vehicles without the unnecessary costs of traditional operator-only type systems of our competitors.”
More details on Hyundai Blue Link are available at www.hyundaibluelink.com.
COLOR PALETTEAzera’s elegance is further brought to life through a bold color palette including Black Onyx Pearl, Porcelain White Pearl, Silver Frost Metallic, Smoke Gray Metallic, Hyper Silver Metallic, Venetian Red Pearl, Bronze Mist Metallic and Midnight Blue Pearl. Interior color choices are Camel, Graphite Black and Chestnut Brown.
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through more than 800 dealerships nationwide. All Hyundai vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by the Hyundai Assurance program, which includes the 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable new vehicle warranty, Hyundai’s 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, and five years of complimentary Roadside Assistance.
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA ANNOUNCES 2012 AZERA PRICING
Fluidic Sculpture Design, Smart Technology, Performance and Safety Hit the Mark
Standard Leather Interior, Navigation and Blue Link Telematics System
- Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine technology
- Best-in-class combined fuel economy of 23 miles per gallon
- 293 horsepower
- Blue Link telematics system
- Proximity key with push-button start
- Heated rear seats
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- SACHS Amplitude Selective Dampers (ASD) for improved ride comfort without compromising handling
|Azera||3.3-liter GDI V6||Six-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC®||$32,000|
More modern and youthful looking than its predecessor, the 2012 Azera is ready to defy traditional large sedan sales leaders such as Maxima, LaCrosse, Avalon and Taurus. Azera’s standard premium features raise the bar for the large sedan segment - navigation with rearview backup camera, heated front and rear seats and LED headlight accents. The 2012 Azera offers first-class seating and comfort for all passengers with standard leather interior, power front passenger seats, optional rear side window, rear sunshade and ventilated front seats. Just like its smaller sibling – Sonata – Azera offers best-in-class total interior volume and leads the segment in front head room and front leg room.
The 2012 Azera is powered by the new, more efficient Lambda II 3.3L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine, mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®. The powertrain is rated at 293 horsepower, while delivering best-in-class fuel economy of 20 mpg city, 29 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined. Azera’s powertrain also has an Active Eco system, which modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy that translates into more than five percent improvement in real-world fuel economy.
Technology isn’t forgotten in addition to the array of interior premium features. Premium sedan consumers can stay connected with the standard Bluetooth hands-free phone system and Hyundai’s Blue Link telematics system, which combines safety, service and infotainment.
Hyundai’s commitment to safety continues with the new Azera, offering best-in-class standard safety features, including nine airbags and impact-absorbing front seats. The Vehicle Stability Management system links safety features such as ESC, TCS, EBD, and Brake Assist to maximize their effectiveness in potential collision situations.
The all-new 2012 Azera is a premium large sedan positioned between the midsize Sonata and the mid-luxury Genesis, in regards to vehicle dimensions, powertrain and features content. Azera comprehensively delivers on customers’ stylistic and functional needs and will serve as an aspirational product for move-up sedan buyers within Hyundai’s model lineup.
Standard and Optional Features
The Azera MSRP is $32,000, excluding $875 freight, and includes the following standard equipment:
- 3.3L GDI DOHC V6 with 293 horsepower
- 6-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC®
- Active ECO system
- 18-inch alloy wheels and tires (P245/45VR)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS) and Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) with Brake Assist
- Impact-absorbing front seats
- Advanced front airbags, front and rear side airbags, side curtain airbags, and driver’s knee airbag
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- SACHS ASD suspension
- Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Automatic headlight control with delay off feature
- Front fog lights
- Integrated dual exhaust
- Chrome insert body side moldings and exterior door handles
- Heated side mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Solar control windshield and glass
- Proximity entry with push-button start
- Leather seating with heated front and rear seats
- Power driver seat and front passenger seat
- Manual tilt and telescopic steering column
- Leather steering wheel and shift knob
- AM/FM/HD Radio/XM/CD/MP3 audio with iPod®/USB and auxiliary input jacks
- Dimension premium speakers with subwoofer and external amplifier
- Navigation system with touchscreen display
- Rearview backup camera
- Blue Link Telematics
- Dual Automatic Temperature Control
- Floor console-mounted rear vents
- Cruise control
- Bluetooth hands-free phone system with phonebook transfer
- Electrochromic mirror with compass and HomeLink®
- Power windows with front auto up/down
- Interior door panels with bottle holders in all four doors
- 19-inch alloy wheels and tires(P245/40VR)
- Panoramic Sunroof
- HID Xenon headlights
- Power rear sunshade
- Manual side window sunshades
- Infinity premium speakers with subwoofer and external amplifier
- Power adjustable tilt and telescopic steering column
- Integrated Memory System (IMS): Power driver's seat, exterior mirrors, and steering column
- Driver’s seat cushion extension
- Ventilated front seats
- Rear parking assistance sensors
- Interior ambient lighting