Citroen/DS hints at the future with Divine DS concept - w/video
Citroen created the DS brand as a separate entity to field premium vehicles. At this year's Paris Motor Show, the French marque rolled out two new concepts (to go along with existing models) that according to company execs, preview what is to come from DS. The focus here is the Divine DS concept that is a unique look at one car for the future..today. "This concept car is the very essence of what DS is and what it will be. A perfect alliance between sophistication and technology. Unveiled just a few weeks after the birth of the brand, DIVINE DS perfectly expresses the unique personality of DS.” Yves Bonnefont, CEO, DS Brand. The intergalactic interior aside (one of three possible choices), the Divine DS is a handsome vehicle with sculpted flanks, clean lines, and interesting detailing. The Divine DS is a premium compact four-door (hatchback. sedan?) with infotainment from MyDS and elegant touches like Lesage embroidery and Swarovski crystal work. No information regarding potential motive force was given, but Citroen has various gas, diesel, and hybrid powerplants to choose from. The important news for US consumers is that DS execs reported that the automaker has global intentions meaning an introduction into the US market in the next few years. Interesting. I wonder if that rear window "shield" is see-through or if they use cameras for rear visibility? Probably the former... Two press releases, pics, and a video after the jump. Enjoy!
Source: Citroen/DS - Press releases after the "read more" jump.
Divine DS: Capturing the Essence of the DS Brand
With more than 500,000 vehicles sold worldwide in four years, DS is building on its success and is now a brand in its own right. Its latest creation, the concept car DIVINE DS, is a true expression of the brand’s DNA.
Designed and created in Paris, France, it captures the very essence of DS:
- unique styling cues: a 4-door, compact vehicle (4.21m) DIVINE DS immediately draws all eyes. Spectacular, elegant and enchanting, with a subtle shimmer in its metal grey bodywork. The strong, sensual curves showcase striking graphic features such as the ‘DS Wings’, the sharp sweep of the side lines and the unique roof design. A unique exterior and an exceptional interior! The original cabin features a bold, high-tech layout of spectacular contrasts, expressing the avant-garde design, refinement and sophistication of DS;
- bold design: with its exclusive ‘Hypertypage’ concept, DIVINE DS introduces a new automotive experience. Customers are invited to choose an interior trim that truly reflects their personality from a selection worthy of a haute couture fashion house. The cabin of DIVINE DS features three interchangeable interior ambiences, each with its own original and unique personality;
- French elegance: DIVINE DS reflects the combined expertise of several prestigious houses, such as Lesage for embroidery and Swarovski for crystal work. The presence of these firms, each one setting the standard in its field, demonstrates the ambition and the capacity of DS to overturn established codes and bring different worlds together, a first in the automotive industry!
- technology contributing to style: DIVINE DS is a car of dynamic, active design, with futuristic, avant-garde headlights combining sequential indicators with laser technology, facets on the roof that open to reveal a reversing camera, and optimised aerodynamics. Inside the car, the ‘cockpit’ driving position and exclusive use of digital systems (touch screen, holographic display, etc.) showcases the in-car technology.
“DIVINE DS is an expression of our expertise. This concept car is the very essence of what DS is and what it will be. A perfect alliance between sophistication and technology. Unveiled just a few weeks after the birth of the brand, DIVINE DS perfectly expresses the unique personality of DS.” Yves Bonnefont, CEO, DS Brand.
The DS Brand unveils its future at the Paris Motor Show
A Paris-born French brand, DS is proud to make its debut at the Paris Motor Show. Officially created on 1st June of this year, the DS brand has a clear-cut ambition: to return the French automotive industry to the ranks of the premium carmakers. It will present concept cars – the DIVINE DS and DS 3 INES DE LA FRESSANGE PARIS CONCEPT – that herald the Brand’s future. It will also show its latest technological innovations and present the new connected services, DS Connect Box and Scan MyDS. To plunge into the Brand’s universe, make a visit to the DS showcase in Pavilion 1.
The Paris Motor Show, a first for the DS Brand
DS has been a fully-fledged Brand since 1 June 2014. It has got off to a fast start, too. As of today, DS has chalked up 500,000 customer orders since the DS 3’s commercial launch in 2010. Some 500,000 cars distinguished by their remarkable styling, their refinement in every detail, their luxurious materials, and their technology.
Today the DS range consists of three models, the DS 3 (including the DS 3 CABRIO), DS 4 and DS 5, rounded out by the DS 5LS and DS 6, which are marketed in China.
For its first international motor show as a Brand, DS has a 1,300-m2 showcase where 15 cars are displayed in a universe stamped with elegance, French know-how, and avant-garde spirit.
PARIS CONCEPT shine a light on the Brand’s future for visitors. DIVINE DS embodies the very essence of the Brand and shows where the Brand is headed, while DS 3 INES DE LA FRESSANGE PARIS CONCEPT illustrates all the potential for personalisation offered by the DS 3.
DIVINE DS, a manifesto of the DS style, is a four-door car distinguished by its compact lines. Along with its sleek and assertive exterior styling, DIVINE DS has an interior whose elements are combined in totally original ways to reflect DS’s avant-garde spirit and sophistication. For this concept car, the design teams gave free rein to their creativity and introduced the concept of “hypertypage”, meaning the car has three interchangeable interior universes, each with a unique and compelling personality. It is a concept car that points to DS’s aim of offering customers cars that will totally reflect their personality.
With a satiny Ink Blue body, glossy Black Onyx’ roof and diamond-effect 17” Aphrodite wheels, this car features many elements that can be personalised. The interior is just as impressive, with its grainy Blue Granite leather upholstery stitched in white and Rouge Ines dashboard. It is a boldly styled concept car that embodies Parisian chic.
Technology for DS customers
Driving a DS and creating a DS reflect the same passion – a passion for cars that wed refinement with technology. DS is offering a demonstration of this at the Paris Motor Show by presenting:
- its latest creations, the DS 3 and DS 3 CABRIO, with their new, Xenon Full LED light signature. Xenon and LED headlights are combined with dynamic turn signals, a first for a car in this category. This means exceptional lighting, better visibility and more comfort, especially at night, all while consuming less energy.
City cars par excellence, the DS 3 and DS 3 CABRIO also feature new equipment that makes city driving a breeze. With Active City Brake, it offers a braking system that prevents collisions at low speeds.
- new engines that are more powerful and efficient and that meet the Euro6 standard. They are already in some DSs and will be installed in future ones. So what are they? The THP 165 S&S petrol engine, which will come out in November in the DS 3 and in coming months in the DS 4. It will deliver more power and lower CO2 emissions, respectively, of 129 g/km and 128 g/km. Meanwhile, the DS 4 will be powered by the PureTech 130 (20% less CO2) and Blue HDi 120 (12% less CO2) before the end of 2014.
Also on the way is the Hybrid4, a diesel hybrid that will be available on the DS 5. It combines the road performance of the HDi 160 diesel with the efficiency of electric propulsion. This 4-wheel-drive engine technology delivers up to 200 hp, with CO2 emissions of only 85 g/km.
Online services to save time and enjoy life more with a DS
The DS has a “connected” future thanks to:
- Scan MyDS, an interactive smartphone application, available shortly on the DS 3 and DS 3 CABRIO, that supplies information on the car’s use. With its image recognition technology, a scan is all it takes to get all the answers to one’s questions. In addition, Scan MyDS provides access to a library of dashboard indicator lights telling what they mean and recommendations of the first steps to take.
- DS Connect Box, a panoply of connected services delivered via a telematics box installed in the car. Today the DS Connect Box offers localised emergency calls and assistance along with a Monitoring package that includes a virtual service logbook (available in the customer’s personal space on the Internet) and an Eco-driving module to obtain personalised advice for reducing fuel consumption. In a few months, new geolocation services will be added to the DS Connect Box, including Mapping (to find where the car is parked, for example) and Tracking, to help customers locate their car if it is stolen.
Visitors will be able to plunge into the DS universe and get the latest news about the Brand in Pavilion 1 at the Parc des Expositions, Porte de Versailles (Paris), until Sunday 19 October. We look forward to seeing all of you there!