Volkswagen Group Night in Geneva: World premieres of the Sport Coupé Concept GTE and the new Touran
- Four-door coupé inspires with exclusive sports car design and innovative plug-in hybrid drive
- More space, technology, connectivity and assistance systems in the completely redesigned Touran
Dr Heinz-Jakob Neusser, Volkswagen Brand Board Member for Development, explained the new Coupé Concept GTE for the Volkswagen brand: "This concept car is a breathtakingly dynamic coupé, destined to set standards in this class. Thanks to the design in the style of an exclusive sports car combined with the added functionality of a large boot lid, we see an impressive alternative to the classic saloons of the B and C segments in this four-seater."
More than ever before, the radiator grille, the headlights and VW badge merge to form a completely new interpretation of the front end in the new Sport Coupé Concept GTE. The roofline assumes the shape of a flattened curve extending from the A-pillar that is set far back – resulting in a very long bonnet – into the rear body. Dominating the rear part of the silhouette is the low-set C-pillar, which develops seamlessly from the roofline. The progressive overall impression of the high-tech concept car is rounded off by 21-inch five-spoke wheels and integrated air exhaust openings in the front wings, doors and bonnet.
Thanks to a V6 TSI engine, the 279 kW / 380 PS GTE plug-in hybrid delivers the long-distance properties of a Grand Tourismo while enabling zero-emission driving – thanks to the deployment of two electric motors and an externally chargeable battery. The concept car, with a top speed of 250 km/h, has an average combined fuel consumption of 2.0 l/100km.
The engineering basis for the design of the Sport Coupé Concept GTE is once again provided by the modular transverse matrix (MQB) from Volkswagen, which makes it possible to implement fascinating proportions. Despite its dynamic dimensions, the Sport Coupé Concept GTE – which is fitted with a panoramic sliding sunroof – offers impressive front and rear headroom. The large boot lid gives access to a 480-litre boot.
In addition to the Sport Coupé Concept GTE, the Volkswagen brand is also presenting the entirely new Touran at the Group Night in Geneva. The third generation of the compact MPV boasts a significantly enlarged multivariable interior and has been enhanced in every respect. Alongside six new engines, which are up to 19 per cent more economical than their predecessors, the Touran is a pioneer within its class in the field of assistance and infotainment systems. In addition to the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System fitted as standard, the family-friendly best-seller also offers adaptive cruise control ACC and Front Assist including City Emergency Brake, Traffic Jam Assist and Trailer Assist (trailer manoeuvring assistant). Its luggage space of 743 to 1,980 litres and the total of 47 storage compartments make the Touran an ideal family MPV.
The subject of infotainment also has a high status in the Touran: a total of five radio and radio navigation systems are available for the Touran. They offer maximum connectivity and enable smartphones to be integrated via App Connect. This is based on applications such as Mirror Link™ and "Car Play" (Apple) and "Android Auto" (Google), which enable nearly all smartphones and an enormous range of apps to be integrated.
World premiere of the Sport Coupé Concept GTE in Geneva:
Four-door coupé marks beginning of a new design era at Volkswagen
- Sport Coupé Concept GTE fascinates with exclusive sports car design
- High-tech concept car with new generation interface and plug-in hybrid drive
- The Sport Coupé Concept GTE is the champion of a new progressive Volkswagen design language.
- Concept combines exclusive sports car design with four-door body concept and large boot lid.
- Sport Coupé Concept GTE is positioned above today's Volkswagen CC.
- Coupé is 4,870 mm long; wheelbase is a generous 2,841 mm which maximises interior length.
- Active Info Display (digital main instrument) offers three-dimensional graphic in a new high-end quality.
- Optionally, the navigation system can incorporate biometric data from the driver to calculate route recommendations.
- Sport Coupé Concept GTE utilises a plug-in hybrid drive (TSI plus two electric motors) with a system power of 380 PS.
- Coupé with top speed of 250 km/h can be driven at least 50 kilometres in the all-electric E-mode.
- In GTE mode, the Sport Coupé Concept GTE accelerates to 100 km/h in just 5.0 seconds.
- Innovative all-wheel drive via electric propshaft.