Source: Land Rover - Press releases and videos after the "read more" jump.
REVEALED: Range Rover Evoque Convertible - The Dawn of a New Era in Luxury Convertible Driving
- The world's most capable all-season convertible is revealed in spectacular sunrise illumination in London
- Stunning backdrop provided by Central Saint Martins, UAL, London's world-renowned college for progressive art, design and creative thought
- Range Rover Evoque Convertible fuses design and capability to bring something new to the world of soft top driving
- Uncompromised open-air luxury with space for four adults
- Broadens Evoque's global appeal as Land Rover's best-selling model
- Evoque Convertible launches Land Rover BORN Ultimate Awards
- On sale around the world from Spring 2016
The newest member of the Range Rover family lowered its roof for the first time in a blaze of dazzling light using state-of-the-art projection technology, transforming the darkness of a cold winter night into the golden glow of warm summer sunshine.
The stunning scene was set against the backdrop of the University of the Arts London's famous Central Saint Martins building in Granary Square, Kings Cross, London.
The projection covered an area the size of approximately 10 tennis courts using twenty projectors, each with a combined brightness of 400,000 lumens, the equivalent of 40,000 candles. The spectacular reveal also incorporated Granary Square's innovative and high-tech water feature comprising of 1,080 fountain jets and 4,320 individual low energy LEDs, with each jet individually controlled and lit using a giant pixel map to invoke the mood of the changing seasons.
With design at its core, the Range Rover Evoque Convertible is supremely capable, has space for four adults, a proper boot and even an innovative ski hatch for road trips to Courchevel or Aspen. This is sophisticated roof-down all-season motoring for drivers from all corners of the globe.
Gerry McGovern, Land Rover Design Director and Chief Creative Officer, said: "The Range Rover Evoque Convertible is a symbol of refinement, luxury and creative design. It's perfectly suited to the urban surroundings of London. The Evoque's elegant design proportions lend themselves to the creation of a Convertible, and it's fitting to reveal the vehicle against the backdrop of one of the world's leading centres for art and design education here in the creative hub of London."
UAL is Europe's largest university specialising in art, design, fashion and the performing arts. UAL is made up of six colleges including Central Saint Martins which are world-renowned for progressive art, design and creative thought.
Since its launch in 2010, Evoque has changed the luxury SUV landscape. Now Land Rover's best-selling model with close to 500,000 sold to date, the compact Range Rover's progressive design has redefined the perception of compact SUVs. Packed with advanced technology and equipped with fuel efficient petrol and diesel engines, the Evoque has revolutionised the sector.
Design is inextricably linked to Evoque. The distinctive shape was introduced to the world for the first time using wireframe sculptures in 2010 - an artistic theme carried forward to 2015 in the build up to the reveal of the latest member of the Range Rover family. Six new Convertible wireframe sculptures were first shown in London's most exclusive addresses earlier in October, and today formed part of the production model's dramatic debut.
The reveal of Evoque Convertible also marks the start of a new partnership between Land Rover and the BORN Ultimate Awards (born.com). BORN is a unique crowdfunding business set up to commercially mobilise the world's global creative talent. The Ultimate Awards is an annual celebration of the most promising creative ideas from around the world, reflecting Land Rover's commitment to fostering and nurturing the talent of tomorrow.
In the run up to the BORN Ultimate Awards, which takes place in Courchevel, France, in March 2016, Land Rover and BORN will release a series of short films exploring the processes and challenges of established creative leaders, and how they are encouraging emerging talent.
The Range Rover Evoque Convertible will go on sale from Spring 2016. For more information please visit landrover.com
- END -
- Since 1948 Land Rover has been manufacturing authentic 4x4s that represent true 'breadth of capability' across the model range. Defender, Discovery, Discovery Sport, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover and Range Rover Evoque each define the world's 4x4 sectors, with 80% of this model range exported to over 170 countries.
- University of the Arts London is Europe's largest education centre specialising in art, design, fashion and the performing arts. It brings together six world-class colleges, amongst these, Central Saint Martins college.
- Central Saint Martins is a globally recognised centre for art and design education. The college was formed in 1989 with the merging of two renowned institutions, Saint Martin's School of Art and the Central School of Arts & Crafts and sits at the heart of London's creative design scene. Staff and students at CSM explore the boundaries of their disciplines, producing work at the forefront of art and design.
- BORN Summit of Creativity celebrates the arts and design, culminating in a creative awards ceremony. The Summit of Creativity is located in the prestigious ski resort of Courchevel in the French Alps.
RANGE ROVER EVOQUE CONVERTIBLE - A CONVERTIBLE FOR ALL SEASONS
- World's first luxury compact SUV convertible
- Highly-desirable design ensures distinctive profile with roof up or down
- Lightweight fabric hood stows in only 18 seconds, at speeds up to 30mph
- Uncompromised luxury - space for four adults, 251-litre boot and ski hatch
- Debuts next-generation infotainment system with 10.2-inch touchscreen
- Most capable all-terrain convertible in the world
- Choice of efficient Si4 petrol and Ingenium diesel engines
- On sale from Spring 2016, in SE Dynamic and HSE Dynamic derivatives
Land Rover has unveiled the world's first luxury compact SUV convertible. Range Rover Evoque Convertible combines the bold design and refinement of Evoque with comprehensive specification and a sophisticated folding roof to create a no compromise, all-season convertible.
The ground breaking and distinctive shape of the original Range Rover Evoque lends itself to an elegant convertible design and the new model sits at the pinnacle of the Evoque portfolio as the most exclusive and capable convertible in the world.
As the fifth member of the Range Rover family - and the first ever convertible - the highly desirable new model combines traditional Range Rover luxury with a distinctive four-seat design and versatile storage.
The Range Rover Evoque Convertible has been engineered to meet Land Rover's most rigorous standards, ensuring exceptional structural rigidity, trademark refinement, outstanding levels of safety and unrivalled breadth of capability.
Gerry McGovern, Land Rover Design Director and Chief Creative Officer, commented: "Range Rover Evoque Convertible is a vehicle for all seasons. Its uniquely distinctive design and world-class engineering adds another dimension to the Range Rover family, further enhancing its desirability and appeal."
The global SUV market is forecast to grow by 20 per cent over the next five years* and Evoque Convertible will play a key role in continuing Range Rover's 45-year success story, pioneering an all-new SUV sector.
Evoque Convertible's eye-catching exterior design is made possible by a sophisticated fabric roof shaped to create a crisply defined silhouette that remains faithful to the original design. Its Z-fold mechanism lays flush with the rear bodywork for a sleek, uncluttered appearance when lowered. The fabric roof is the longest and widest currently fitted to any vehicle on sale today.
The fully-automated roof stows in 18 seconds, and can be raised in 21 seconds, at speeds up to 30mph. When closed it provides high standards of refinement with a layer of acoustic insulation ensuring interior comfort on a par with five-door Evoque. In addition, the position of the roof doesn't affect loadspace, with a generous 251-litre boot offering unrivalled practicality for a convertible.
At the heart of the high-class cabin is an all-new, high-resolution 10.2-inch touchscreen with Jaguar Land Rover's next-generation infotainment system, InControl™ Touch Pro, which debuts in a Land Rover. Raising the standard of connectivity for the brand, the highly-responsive and super-fast InControl™ Touch Pro offers seamless smartphone integration, door-to-door navigation, 3G connectivity and a premium sound system.
Safety hasn't been overlooked with a Roll-Over Protection Device featuring deployable roll-over bars hidden in the rear bodywork. It deploys two aluminium bars within 90 milliseconds in the unlikely event of a roll-over situation to create a survival space for occupants.
Land Rover's full suite of lightweight, all-aluminium four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines is available with the potent 240PS Si4 petrol providing outstanding levels of performance and refinement.
Diesel power comes from Land Rover's 2.0-litre Ingenium engines which provide highly efficient and refined performance with fuel economy up to 55mpg (5.1 l/100km) and CO2 emissions as low as 149g/km.
Evoque Convertible is underpinned by Land Rover's world-class all-terrain capability, using the same advanced technologies as Evoque five-door and Coupé derivatives. A customary choice of four-wheel drive powertrains combines with Land Rover's nine-speed automatic transmission, Terrain Response® system, Wade Sensing and All-Terrain Progress Control to ensure Evoque is a convertible for all seasons.
The new Range Rover Evoque Convertible will be produced at Land Rover's Halewood plant in the UK, alongside the five door and Coupé bodystyles, and goes on sale across from Spring 2016 in more than 170 markets worldwide.